Capital Gains Tax

Capital Gains Tax is a tax on the gain or profit you make when you sell, give away or otherwise dispose of something that you own, such as shares or property. There’s a tax-free allowance and some additional relief that may reduce your Capital Gains Tax bill. Sometimes you may have no tax to pay.

What is Capital Gains Tax?

Capital Gains Tax is a tax on the profit or gain you make when you sell or ‘dispose of’ an asset. You usually dispose of an asset when you cease to own it – for example if you:

  • sell it or give it away as a gift
  • transfer it to someone else
  • exchange it for something else
  • receive compensation for it – e.g. you receive an insurance payout when an asset’s been destroyed

It’s the gain you make – not the amount of money you receive for the asset – that’s taxed. With the tax regime becoming more complex and more emphasis being put on taxpayers’ individual responsibilities, everyone who is subject to taxation needs professional advice and support.

At Amin & Co, Accountants we hope you will find our approach refreshing – we optimize your tax position and ensure you meet all the compliance requirements.

Every pound of income tax you save means more income at your disposal, every well planned disposal of assets means minimal loss to capital gains, and every inheritance tax saving means more wealth for your beneficiaries. You may have to pay Capital Gains Tax if you make a profit or gain when you sell, give away, exchange or otherwise dispose of all or part a business asset.

A business asset could be shares, land and buildings, a business franchise, fixtures and fittings or even the goodwill of the business, i.e. its good name or reputation. If you own your own business, or you’re a member of a partnership, you usually have to report capital gains and losses on your Self Assessment tax return.

It’s different if your business is carried on by a limited company, in which you may be a director or shareholder – any profits on assets disposed of form part of the total profits of the company on which it pays Corporation Tax.

Capital gains tax may be very complicated.  There are many exemptions and adjustments that can be availed from tax man, which may lead to significant tax savings.  It is advisable that you seek the advice of a professional accountant who is best suited to help you with calculating your capital gains tax liability.

If you are a small business owner or individual considering selling an asset or business, we can advise on any reliefs that may be available and of the possible capital gains tax charges that may arise.

Amin & Co Accountants Ltd | Company Registration No. 8470501 Registered in England & Wales
Member of Institute of Financial Accountants, London

Top Rated Company
Awarded by the Free Index Accountants directory See our customers review through Free Index

If you need any help for your tax return or preparation of accounts call now to book an initial meeting at
0161 224 3510 or complete our inquiry form and we will get back to you as soon as possible